This post is the opinion of Netanel Ganin and is in no way to be construed as an official communication from any section of any institution.
“Each Tentative List includes an email address to which comments on the proposals may be submitted. PSD accepts comments from LC and SACO catalogers, other library and archive professionals, lawmakers, and members of the general public. The comment period lasts approximately one month, beginning with the publication of the Tentative List and continuing until the closing date indicated on the list.”
The following are newly approved headings which I proposed [or canceled LCSH in favor of NARs]
- Gender nonconformity [Replacing Transgenderism]
- Cross-dressers [Replacing Transvestites and removing the BT to Transgender people]]
- Cross-dressing [Replacing Transvestitism]
- Female impersonators [Removing the BT to Transgender people]
- Male impersonators [Removing the BT to Transgender people]
- Dwarfs (Persons) [Split from Dwarfs]
- Dwarfs (Folklore) [Split from Dwarfs]
- Anteus (Greek mythology) [Canceled in favor of NAR]
- Argos (Greek mythology) [Canceled in favor of NAR]
- Calydonian boar (Greek mythology) [Canceled in favor of NAR]
- Eeyore (Fictitious character) [Canceled in favor of NAR]
- Hawkgirl (Fictitious character) [Canceled in favor of NAR]
- Sawyer, Tom (Fictitious character) [Canceled in favor of NAR]
- Unplanned pregnancy
- Furry fandom (Subculture)
- Predators (Fictitious characters : Dark Hose Comics) [Replacing Predator (Fictitious character : Dark Horse Comics]
- Xenomorphs (Fictitious characters)
Normally this where I say “Onto the headings!” but I want to pause for a moment to reflect and say some stuff.
This is the basically the last list where I have significant headings to be evaluated. Next month are a few strays, and maybe the month after that will be a revise and resubmit heading, but this is the last big haul.
As many of you know, I’ve started a new position at the Library of Congress. As someone who worked at an academic library with a diverse set of materials to be cataloged and a wide collection policy, I was able to propose a broad number of headings and changes based on the materials that crossed my desk and operated with very little supervision in that capacity. I was the only member of my institution making subject proposals and nobody except the PSD itself had oversight or comments on my work.
Now I’m working exclusively with audio-visual materials, and with colleagues and supervisors who have all made proposals and understand the process [the LCGFT audio visual terms was co-developed by some of new colleagues!] I don’t imagine I’ll be encountering the variety of material that I did before to engender so many proposals nor have the free reign as an Official LC Cataloger to cause as much trouble with changes. [Speculation on my part]
I’m not throwing in the towel, nor giving up the ghost! I still believe in a more inclusive and up-to-date LCSH. This is where you come in. Do you have a heading you need in your work but you just don’t know how to propose it? Is there a change you’ve wanted to see to LCSH? Maybe I can help, let’s talk.
And now, onto the headings!
A (The letter)
Children of assisted reproductive technology
Energy bars (Snack foods)
Parent and child in motion pictures
Solitude in popular culture